Thursday, May 24, 2012

Importance of military kit and following orders


What is an order?

An order is a command given by a superior military member requiring obedience, as in the execution of a task. In the military , when you are given an order , you have one choice , and that's to obey it. It is important to follow orders.


Why is it important to follow orders?

In the military , there is a chain of command. The chain of command is composed of all ranks, from lowest having no power and the highest, being in charge of all troops. Failure to obey a command is a chargeable offence. I am in no financial position to be paying a fine for something as simple as obeying someones command. It doesn't matter if you don't like the order, just bit your thumb and do it. If you can just get er done and not complain day after day, you will be rewarded at some point in time or you will be earning respect from everyone.

What is military kit?

Military kit is defined as all of the equipment you were issued when joining the canadian armed forces. The equipment being everything from next-to-skin items, uniforms, winter gear, field gear, boots  and anything else necessary for you to have as a soldier. This kit is issued to you by the queen, to get you equipped with all the necessary items to serve your country. These items (your kit) are borrowed to you only while serving in the military. It would be very expensive to try and buy every new soldier thousands of dollars worth of equipment especially in the reserves when you have no idea how long the individual might decide to serve. Your kit is very important, and it is very important that you bring all of it to training sessions.

 Why is it important to bring all my kit to training? Why is kit important?

It's very important to bring all your kit to training , especially BMQ. BMQ is the very first step that civilians take into becoming a soldier. Every new civilian has no idea how to use all of their kit. The instructors on the course are there to show you how everything works. It's very important to bring it all, because if you were in a situation where you didn't know how to use a piece of kit it could cost your life or maybe even someone else's. Also, it's important to bring it all on training because you never know what could happen. You could get sent out in any weather. You could be spontaneously told that your course was going to the gas hut a week early. What if you hadn't brought that gas mask? You would be unable to pass your course which would result in you restarting the entire course. That's not worth it. I will bring it all, it can avoid a lot of issues. The staff also wants to make sure you were issued all of the kit that you signed for. You must be fully equipped to survive in all situations and all environments. Kit is important because if you know how to use it it could save your life. The saying is: Your kit can either save ya or fuck ya. For example, most people exposed to -30 degree  weather would be dead meat in a very short period of time. If you know how to use all of your kit you could easily avoid that dilemma.

Why am I writing this essay?

I was ordered to write this essay on 20 may 2012 by Master Corporal Butterworth  because my behaviour was unacceptable and a complete lack of respect. I failed to follow orders and bring all of my kit to training. At the very beginning of our training , we were told to bring every piece of kit issued to us by the queen. I decided that I was only going to bring what was necessary for that weekend. I didn't think that I was going to be able to fit all of my kit in 2 duffle bags and a ruck sack so I did what I thought was practical. I understand that I cannot do that. As I have been told in the past, we do not pay you to think! You will never win if you think you're being sneaky by trying to make things convenient for yourself. It may only be at a minor scale but that's where it all begins.



Following orders is mandatory in the military and failure to do so is a chargeable offence. No matter the importance of the order it must be followed. Following orders also instills discipline within the chain of command. The canadian military does not accept individuals who cannot follow orders. When you are told to do something by anyone of superior command you must do so and keep your mouth shut. Disobeying orders is not only a chargeable offence but it also shows great disrespect to your superiors. Obeying commands is crucial throughout every aspect of the forces and must be learnt at the start (BMQ). The CF must keep a good reputation in the publics eyes. If members are disobeying orders it shows signs of disorganization and non- professionalism. I must learn from my mistake and insure that I shall comply with all orders. I understand that failure to do so could result in much worst then a 1000 word essay , such as a fine. I am also in no financial state to be paying fines when all I have to do is  obey orders and keep my mouth shut. I always like to mention this: If your corporal, master corporal, sergeant, warrant officer, master warrant officer, chief warrant officer, or any commissioned officer tells you to jump, you say : How high do you want me to jump(Rank)? When I entered the forces, I knew and had been told, that one of my obligations as a soldier was to obey all orders. I am fully aware of this obligation. Disobeying an order could be seen in a way that you put yourself before your country. The military is strong on it's values , and it states that it goes in this order. Your country, your fellow troops, and then yourself. The punishments that could result from demonstrating the inability to put your country first could be severe and possibly job threatening in extreme cases.

I've had enough time to reflect about the importance of following orders and bringing all my kit to training. I,Pte Robert take full responsibility for my actions and will make sure these unacceptable behaviours are immediately eradicated. I understand the importance of following orders and see what effect it could have on the military as a whole if no one followed them. The canadian military consists of men and women who take pride in serving for their country. Professionalism, discipline and integrity are key components that each individual serving today must possese. Each civilian interested in being in the military is required to pass some tests. These test are a medical test, a physical test, and an apptitude test. Not everyone has what it takes to join and there is some people that probably wish they could. So therefore, having the privilege to serve for your country, the feeling of satisfaction you get, you should feel proud of your accomplishment. If you serve your respectable time, the military will have you set for life upon retirement. So who would be silly enough to ruin that opportunity. Not only would it be ruining a perfect opportunity it would also ruin all opportunities with any future government jobs.

I will follow orders and bring all of my kit to training . Bringing all of my kit to training was an order that I shall acknowledge and accomplish.

Thank you for you time.
Pte Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment